Maus: My second read review

Book author: Art Spiegelman


I read Maus for the second time. The first time I read the ebook, two separate volumes and I posted my first read review. Recently this dear book was available in a local bookstore and I happily spent my money for this beautiful work of art without thinking twice.  This is the review of the complete volume and of my second read.


I realized, a second read was even more enjoyable. I didn’t remember so many details. The first time, I was into some part of the story, this time I was into some other part. The story being so strong turns its readers to come back more than once.


 I was taken by the narrative of the book. Probably the book description can be summarized as “a survivor’s tale”. It was much more than that to me, at least on my second read. Being in a troubled relationship with my mother for a long time, I understood Art’s experiences, only his was much much more difficult than mine. His relationship with his father was a big take of the book. Vladek, his father has always been difficult, behaves like he still is in Auschwitz camp, saving every crumble of biscuit, his attitude always tough towards life. It gets funnier too, like when Vladek never buys toilet paper, why would he when he can get those free when visiting a restaurant! LOL. Then Vladek returns half-eaten packets of cereals at the grocery store, the packet opening glued together, I could totally feel the embarrassment of Art. Vladek was arguing with the store owner in his defense “it was so difficult at the war camp”, and I remembered my mom trying to return used Sensodyne toothpaste at our local grocery, probably she used her favorite argument “my daughter studies at BUET”. At one point, Vladek’s second wife Mala uses the airport phone to call everyone in the USA just because it was free, then exclaims “See, I learned from Vladek”. I was laughing so hard. Also, Mala is full of fun…


Art starts recording his father’s survivor story of the second world war. Vladek tells him his young life, how he met Art’s mother Anja, about their first child Richiev, then the whole story of WWII. What took on me was the integrity of the book. Art’s honest feeling about his father- torment and guilt. He very much wants to love Vladek, but he and Vladek are so different, so much is the gap. Art shares his frustration with his father, even when recording the story. The account of the book is so rare. The story-teller unveils their story AND behind the scenes at the same time. It was awesome.


In the second volume Art also shares his depression, how he was going through a difficult time by the fame that came upon him of Maus volume I’s success. How he was judging himself for selling his father’s story when he wasn’t the one who survived the hell. His portrayals are magic. The way he draws the weakness in one, the evil in one- it’s perfect.


It’s a graphic novel where you get a superb account of the history of WWII, an emotional, troubled father-son account filled with humor, graphic that stays with you forever. I bet this will be in the top collection of your bookshelf!


Will leave a few of snapshots of some very favorite pages from the book-


 











 



Comments

Popular Posts