Six Evergreen Books I Read in 2021




আরণ্যক
by Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay


Aranyak tells the story of a beautiful landscape and the lives of its inhabitants. People don’t remember this land now, as buildings are competing to touch the sky at its place. Bibhutibhushan brought out the history of this land when it was a simple place, when the equations were very subject to nature, very simple.



My Father's Notebook

by Kader Abdolah

See book details and my review


It’s my third read of Kader Abdullah. I saved up this book for a while since if I read it, my savings of his writings would be empty. The words of this Iranian writer are magic. Loved them as usual. It’s about a father, a son, their mountainside land burning with the events of history, their inner language which was never spoken aloud, but connected them in an exceptional bond.



Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine

by Gail Honeyman, Cathleen McCarron (Narrator)

See book details and my review

This was my favorite listen this year. Rich Scottish/British accent sounded amazing to me! So was the story of Eleanor. A completely fine 30 years old lady. Sometimes can’t fall in a conversation, sometimes out of fashion- but you know, she is completely fine.



Anxious People

by Fredrik Backman (Goodreads Author), Neil Smith (Translator)

See book details and my review

This was the sweetest read, and then it also tasted like pickle. It was a blend of several tastes! A group of people, each different from one another- inside an apartment. And then? Backman will tell you the rest.



চৌরঙ্গী

by Sankar

See book details and my review

1960’s Kolkata. The British have just left, but not the culture, ‘shahebiana’ they have introduced here. Hotel Shajahan is serving its rich, high class guests and the hotel’s employee Sankar is telling us the story of its guests, their different routines at different hours of the day. A live hotel and live city captured in Sankar’s amazing writing!



Cloud Cuckoo Land

by Anthony Doerr

See book details and my review

Up in the clouds there is a land- no sorrow, no pain, birds of all colors fly there, turtles carrying honeycakes on their backs. Dreaming- that’s what we do in between our destinations. That’s what the characters of this book do. More than fiction…



Comments

Popular Posts